Benjamin is research and communications coordinator at PILC. He previously (2019-21) ran our EU homeless rights project, set up to monitor and defend the rights of homeless EU citizens around Brexit. He has written widely on destitution, deportation, no recourse to public funds (NRPF) and related topics. For PILC he is a member of a Crisis research advisory group around EEA homelessness and the international partner on a University of Warsaw research project into expulsions from the UK.
He has previously worked as a housing and welfare adviser at Hackney Migrant Centre, a community worker at Praxis, a refugee caseworker at the Red Cross and an independent mental health advocate (IMHA) at Mind. He has also been involved in setting up and running various grassroots groups, projects and campaigns in solidarity with destitute migrants.
He has a PhD in comparative literature and an MRes in East European Studies.
Recent and forthcoming publications
- Morgan B., ‘No safety net’, Proof. Issue 5. November 2021.
- Morgan B., Back to the bad old days? (update on EEA rough sleepers post-EUSS deadline) The Justice Gap, 22 October 2021.
- Morgan B., What fresh hell: UK policies targeting homeless migrants for deportation after Brexit and Covid-19. Critical Social Policy, 2021.
- Morgan B., Still Here: Defending the rights of homeless EU citizens after Brexit and Covid-19. Public Interest Law Centre, July 2021.
- Morgan, B. and Dickson E., Rough sleeping as a ground for refusal or cancellation of leave to enter or remain in the UK. Strategic Legal Fund and Public Interest Law Centre, February 2021.
- Morgan B., ‘If they could they’d send us far far away’. The Justice Gap, 24 September 2020.
- Dickson, E., Jolly, A., Morgan, B., Qureshi, F., Sojka, B. and Stamp, D. (2020) Local authority responses to people with NRPF during the pandemic: research report. Wolverhampton: Institute for Community Research & Development, University of Wolverhampton.
- Dickson, E. and Morgan B., Rough Sleeper Raids: How Homeless Charity Deportations Carry On Rebranded. Corporate Watch, 10 June 2020.
- Morgan B., Radziwinowiczówna A. Post-Brexit, Post-Covid-19, Which EU Citizens Are at Risk of Deportation? The Justice Gap, 1 June 2020.
- (as editor), A Migrant with No Recourse to Public Funds on Being Made Homeless During a Pandemic. Novara Media, 28 May 2020.
- Morgan B., The Politics of Covid-19: Can Local Authorities Really ‘Bring Everyone In’? Red Pepper, April 21 2020.
- Morgan B., Undocumented Migrants Must Be Given Access to Welfare and Healthcare. Novara Media, 27 March 2020.
- Morgan B., ‘I Didn’t Know I Could Be Illegal’: The Policies That Target Rough Sleepers. Open Democracy, 17 February 2020.
- Morgan B., Third-Sector Workers’ Grievances Point to Shortcomings of the Charity Sector. Novara Media, 10 February 2020.